Our Almond Story

Home · Our Almond Story

ALMONDS ALONG

THE RIVER MURRAY

Australian almonds grow along the beautiful Murray River. Almonds love the region’s Mediterranean-style weather.

Australia is now the world’s second-largest almond growing region in the world.

2016/17 almond production by state

%

Victoria

%

South Australia

%

New South Wales

%

Western Australia

OUR WATER USE EFFICIENCY

Almonds are one of Australia’s highest value, efficient and environmentally friendly water converters.

Water use efficiency is aided by sophisticated irrigation systems that ensure water application matches tree requirements and minimizes water impact.

99% of orchards use efficient drip irrigation that allows for precise timing and rates of irrigation and the remaining 1% of orchards use low level micro sprinklers.

The whole almond fruit nothing goes to waste

The ability to use the almond kernel in a range of value added products means there is no waste of the nut seed and the same applies to the outer shell and hull of the almond. The hull is used as a nutritious, protein rich food for livestock or is composted to be used to improve garden and farm soils.

The inner shell is used to generate electricity, mulch or livestock bedding.